Sunday, March 1, 2009

State pledge....

In the state of Texas, our great congressmen and women decided that every school child would say the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. Flag and the Texas Flag and have a moment of silence (to do whatever) every day.

(For those of you who don't know it, the Texas Pledge goes like this: Honor the Texas Flag, I Pledge Allegiance to Thee, Texas, One State Under God, One and Indivisible.)

Now, I disagree with this. Everyone here says it's because I'm a "Yankee." Call it what you want, but it's because I'm an AMERICAN!!!!! In our Pledge to the U.S. Flag, we say "One NATION, under God...." We don't say 50 individual states under God! So, why would ONE STATE believe they could be on the same level as our country? Well, because Texans think they can do whatever they want!

(For the record, one other state has a pledge to it's state flag. That would be Louisiana--and if you get a chance to read it, it's pretty similar to the U.S. pledge.)

So, everyday, I stand and say the U.S. pledge and remain standing respectfully while the class says the Texas pledge. I don't participate. Some co-workers say I'm being disrespectful. I say I'm respecting my country. It takes all 50 states to be our great country--all 50 are EQUAL!

What do you think?????

No comments: